Trump says US will reduce military exercises with South Korea, citing lack of help with Iran
AI Generated Image

Trump says US will reduce military exercises with South Korea, citing lack of help with Iran

Yahoo News Singapore world

Key Points:

  • President Donald Trump announced a reduction in joint military exercises with South Korea, citing his positive relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea's refusal to assist the US in its conflict with Iran.
  • The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, scheduled to begin Monday and involve around 18,000 South Korean troops, started as planned, but it is unclear if the scope has been reduced following Trump's announcement.
  • The US-South Korea military drills are a longstanding practice aimed at countering North Korean threats, including nuclear capabilities, but North Korea has consistently condemned them as provocative rehearsals for war.
  • Trump criticized the cost of these exercises, emphasizing that the US bears most expenses, and has previously scaled back such drills during his first term to ease tensions with North Korea.
  • Despite the reduction in exercises, Trump highlighted his ongoing "good relationship" with Kim Jong Un, contrasting with the strained alliance with South Korea over its unwillingness to support US efforts against Iran.

Trending Business

Trending Technology

Trending Health